The best way to visit the Kimberley is on a self-drive tour. It allows you the freedom to visit the places you want to see, set your own schedule and go on your own adventure.
If you would rather join a tour or guided expedition, we have detailed information about various Kimberley tour companies on this page.
What sort of Vehicle Should I Hire?
You will need to hire a 4WD (four wheel drive) vehicle to properly visit the Kimberley. Many of the roads are unsealed (all 660km of the Gibb River Road is unsealed) and there are many water crossings and rough tracks that would will need to tackle to visit many of the regions attractions.
Do not attempt to drive the Gibb River Road or visit the Bungle Bungles in a normal two wheel drive vehicle!
Most people hire a 4WD campervan. The distances between towns and accommodation are great, and nearly all of the attractions are a long way from the nearest hotel. So a campervan is an ideal vehicle and it will give you a lot of freedom and flexibility in where you can stop to rest, eat and sleep.
Campervan hire will also save you a lot of money in accommodation costs. There are various free camping sites and even designated campgrounds and caravan parks are much much cheaper than hotels.
If you are planning to stay in Broome and Kununurra and only visit some nearby attractions, it’s possible to hire a 4WD and some basic camping equipment.
The is a wealth of information on this website about attractions along the Gibb River Road and through the Bungle Bungles.
We’ve listed some useful pages below:
Things to Consider
- Most 4WD campervans will have manual transmission.
- The mimimum age for drivers is normally 21 years
- Check the office hours of your hire car company – many are not open at night or on Sunday and Public Holidays
- One-way relocation fees normally apply if you want to pick up your camper in one location and leave it in another (eg if you would like to drive one-way from Broome to Darwin)
- Make sure you take the time to understand how much insurance costs, and what you are covered for
- Many companies place restrictions on where you are allowed to drive. Check to make sure you are allowed to drive off-road
- Not all companies will let you drive along the Gibb River Road, to the Bungle Bungles or to Mitchell Falls – it’s a good idea to check this before you make a booking. Of course, you are able to still drive on these roads, but your insurance won’t be valid and it will be very very costly if you have any problems
- Ask what cooking and camping equipment is provided with the vehicle
- It is a good idea to book your vehicle early, especially if you plan on visiting during the busy dry season months from May-October
Australian 4WD and Campervan Hire Companies
There is a range of car hire companies in Perth, Broome and Darwin.
Major international companies like Britz and Apollo have 4WD vehicles and a range of campervan styles. There are also some smaller companies based in Broome that have standard four wheel drive vehicles available for rent.
We’ve listed some companies below – if you know of any other 4WD and campervan rental companies that we should feature – leave a comment below and we’ll add them to the list.
|4WD and Campervan Hire Companies|
|Broome Rent A Car||4WD Cars|
|Topless Rentals||4WD Cars|