Current Road Conditions
Certain roads in the Kimberley are subject to closures after heavy rain.
In fact some roads (like the Gibb River Road) are closed for months at a time during the wet season. Even in the dry season, heavy rains can raise water levels in water crossing significantly.
Make sure to check current Kimberley road conditions before you leave!
For the most up to date road condition reports check out the links below:
- Broome and Cape Leveque Road Conditions
- Kimberley and Gibb River Road Conditions (Main Roads WA)
- Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley (east Gibb River Road including Kalumbaru and Mitchell Plateau)
- Shire of Derby West Kimberley (west Gibb River Road including Windjana Gorge and Tunnel Creek)
- Great Northern Highway – Shire of Halls Creek
- Northern Territory Road Conditions (for those continuing into the Northern Territory)
The Kimberley is an extremely remote region. Many visitors don’t fully appreciate the distances and travel times involved in an adventure tour of the Kimberley.
We’ve included some distance tables below to help you plan your journey. All distances are in kilometres.
|Broome||Derby||Fitzroy Crossing||Halls Creek||Kununurra||Wyndham|
Gibb River Road
|Windjana & Tunnel Creek junction||119||586|
|Bell Gorge junction||214||491|
|Charnley River junction||255||450|
|Mt Barnett and Manning Gorge||300||405|
|Mt Elizabeth junction||345||360|
|Kalumbaru Road junction||411||294|
|King Edward River||568||451|
|Home Valley Station||591||114|
|El Questro junction||624||81|
|Gibb River Road junction||660||45|